Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rite of Passage: Books

The second rite of passage that I gave to my now teenaged son was something near and dear to me: a pile 'o YA books that he was now allowed to read.

FAT KID RULES THE WORLD by K.L. Going! (I've been dying to have my son read one of my favorite books of all time. At last! I feel that he's old enough! This is present to myself, really.)

DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN by Sherman Alexie! (Ditto!)

What other books should be part of his rite of passage to mark his move from boyhood to manhood?

5 comments:

Little Willow said...

I know how much you love World, and how special that is for you to give to him.

Has he (or have you) read Nothing but the Truth by Avi?

If you want me to tell you my favorites from this booklist, email me!

tanita✿davis said...

A couple off the top of my head: Dunk, by David Lubar
Standard Hero Behavior, by John David Anderson

chris said...

Definitely something by M.T. Anderson and/or John Green.

alvinaling said...

How about THE OUTSIDERS?

BE MORE CHILL
FEED
GOING NOWHERE FASTER
ENDER'S GAME
THE CHOCOLATE WAR...

Oh, the list goes on and on... I'll think on this some more.

Justina Chen said...

I'm adding these all to my list!

eXTReMe Tracker