Thursday, February 19, 2009

North of Beautiful: Tour de Auburn

There are no cooler people on the planet than YA librarians. I mean, look at Rachel, the YA librarian for the Auburn Public Library. Roller derby queen. Articulate as anyone I've ever met. An intrepid traveler. And rolled up in a covet-worthy outfit.

Meeting people--whether librarians or readers or booksellers--has got to be one of the best perks of being an author for teens. My tour schedule this year is more limited than my previous years, which made my first foray out so special.
The teens in the library were especially prepared with excellent questions about North of Beautiful and my writing process.

The support I receive when I visit schools, like Auburn High School, is equally amazing. Can you even comprehend the hours the school librarian must have spent to create this display for readergirlz and Guysread? I'm so glad that she took the time to include guys. (I talked up Guys Lit Wire, too, while I was there--and if you haven't checked that resource out, you really ought to!)

Today, I'm thankful for librarians who think teens can benefit from authors visiting their schools and libraries.

3 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Librarians totally rock, I agree!

Just wanted to let you know that I reviewed North of Beautiful here .

We wanted to go to China last fall so badly but then plans fell through.

Melissa said...

Librarians co-rule the world with indie booksellers. Show the indies some love, Justina! Link to indiebound.org or even powells.com along with Amazon?

Little Willow said...

Wow. Oh, that display makes me want to smile and cry! WOW.

eXTReMe Tracker